Energy measurements FAQs
What does thermal performance mean?
We need to measure the thermal performance of your home. This means understanding how well it keeps heat in. It will help to make sure refurbishment works are carried out to a high standard and that your home is made more comfortable.
Who will carry out the measurements?
Lancaster West Neighbourhood Team has asked Build Test Solutions to carry out the tests. Build Test Solutions are a company that measure the energy performance of buildings.
Does someone need to visit my home?
Yes, to carry out the thermal performance tests, a Build Test Solutions staff member needs to visit your home and install sensors. There will be two visits:
- Visit 1, 5-10 minutes: During this visit they will take meter readings, room measurements, and install temperature sensors which will remain in place for 3 weeks.
- Visit 2, three weeks later, 5 minutes: During this visit they will take meter readings and collect the temperature sensors.
How will the sensors be installed?
The installation will be non-invasive, this means no use of screws and no damage to your home.
Can I move the sensors whilst they are in my home?
No, the sensors should not be moved or touched. They should be left where they are for 3 weeks for the test to be carried out properly.
How will my data be used, who does it go to?
The only use of the data is to measure energy efficiency in the property, to help determine options and solutions going forward with the refurbishment. No personal data is collected and the measurements are not given to energy companies.
What Covid-19 protection measures will be taken during the visits?
- During each visit into your home, the Build Test Solutions staff member will wear a face mask and gloves.
- Before the Build Test Solutions staff member enters the property, we will ask you to open a window to provide ventilation.
- They will try to be in the property for as short a time as possible.
- If you feel more comfortable, you can remain in a room which is closed off from the rest of the home for most of the test to isolate from Build Test Solutions staff.